June 18, 2015

My take on Laphroaig Quarter Cask

After the Macallan 12 yo as a representative of a heavily sherry influenced whisky last time, I still needed a strongly peated one in order to cover all important basic corners. For peated whiskies, the most famous option is to look out for the island of Islay, which is home to many distilleries that produce traditionally peat loaded stuff. The most widely known brands are probably Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and Ardbeg. As already mentioned with the Glenfiddich 12 yo, my first lesson about whisky I learned from Frank Schätzing in one of his novels, where Lagavulin and Laphroaig were presented as 'the good stuff'. Naturally, whenever I sought out whisky in the following, I tried to adhere to these guidelines, and on more than one occasion came across the Laphroaig 10 yo, which is affordable and pretty damn tasty.

When starting my whisky passion for real last year, I wanted to try out some unknowns, and opted therefore for the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. This bottling is very similar to the standard 10 year old, but taken a bit earlier from the casks and finished off in smaller casks (quarter casks) that give an increased whisky-wood engagement during the final months before being bottled. Also, this stuff is presented with a higher alcoholic strength (48% ABV instead of 40% with the 10 yo), and un-chillfiltered. The higher alcohol content means that more flavor and aromas can be contained in the liquid, while the omitted chillfiltration is something that whisky afficionados always want to have, but for the beginner maybe is not such an important factor.

Personally, the Laphroaig always stirrs good memories, as this was the first real single malt that I ever tried - and despite negative expectations ('smoke in a drink?!?') turned out to be really tasty. In my opinion, there is no better way to round off an evening spent with a friend in an Irish pub - than with a glass of Laphroaig. My friend with whom I developed this tradition many years ago is by now living almost on the other side of the world - but whenever we get to meet we make sure to keep that tradition alive! In pubs, it is usually the standard 10 yo on the shelf, but here is my take on its brother, the Quarter Cask:

Nose: In tasting notes of peated whiskies you often come across the phrase 'medicinal peat smoke'. I never understood, what this means, until I smelled Laphroaig. There is strong peat smoke and you feel reminded of a hospital. Behind that appears some sweet fruitiness, and some salt as well. Really complex!

Taste: Spicy arrival, then the peat blast sets in. It's hard to describe this taste in any other words, because I've never tasted anything like it. After a while, oak wood comes through, but compared to the nose, the taste is surprisingly mellow. Some sweet and salty notes, and a little mint is also there.

Finish: Long and warming. The oak wood is the predominant taste in the finish, but also the peat smoke and the saltiness remain in the mouth for the rest of the evening.

Bottom line: I admit, this is so far my favorite. Especially on cold or rainy days, there is nothing better than to relax with a dram of this lovely stuff. Many serious whisky fans often add some water to their drams, and so far I could not really make out any difference with or without water. With the Quarter Cask, maybe due to the higher ABV of 48%, this changed. Adding a teespoon of water actually brings out additional aromas. On the nose I detect floral notes, while the taste becomes sweeter. For me as a beginner, this was a really nice experience, and I'd say that buying the Quarter Cask definitely paid off. I would (and probably will) buy it again!
 + intense and delicious smell and taste, affordable, peat blast (if that is your thing)
 - peat blast (if that is not your thing)

Slàinte mhath!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments - I will get back to you!